The latest episode of the Digital Adoption Show features Akshay Moza, Manager, Customer Success, Whatfix and Claire Doody on The 5 Must-Follow Hacks to Build a Future-Proof Workplace.
4:54 – Technology has become the backbone of the L&D function. How can leaders use technology more effectively while keeping the human element in mind?
- Experiences can be made more human by using technology. 20 years ago, there was a huge gap between being alone, and working through content on an LMS but today we could have a transformational learning experience
- You’ve got multiple touch points like Slack and Zoom throughout the employee journey and it’s very powerful. Well-designed tech-enabled learning can facilitate the human-centric approach and it can create continuity outside the classroom to build a sustainable relationship across peers which is much more inclusive
- To achieve high standards in L&D, you need to focus on good learning design and facilitation to create those learning experiences. This also creates tension between scalability and the number of touchpoints a learner might have. Meanwhile, there’s plenty of content, rotting away on learning management systems that would make you feel very isolated, using e-learning
14:45- How do you create a change when building an L&D strategy? What are the three things you keep in mind?
- The first one is about understanding the business and its purpose. Understand the standard L&D offerings of employee onboarding, training and whatever is vital to your business over the coming years. If your business is going to double in size over the next 18 months, you will benefit from putting in place some diverse hiring and interviewing skills if your organization wants to break into new markets
- Be ruthless about what you focus on. You can quickly become an order taker when you come under pressure from various parts of the business. If you don’t have a framework for taking things on and rejecting things, you will fall short of the resources or the capacity to take it all on and you can’t go anywhere
- Expand your thinking and appreciate that very few things can be addressed by learning alone, looking at the mindset, the behaviours with culture and the systems. Ask yourself what’s incentivizing people to behave in the way that we’re trying to address and what’s stopping them. We need to reframe L&D as a performance consultant, so that doesn’t always mean that there’s going to be training in the solution
Claire Doody is Founder and Principal Consultant, at Work in Motion and Ex-Global Director, at Twitter. She led the redesign of work at Twitter to support its decentralization strategy.